314 E Avenue F
South Hutchinson, KS 67505
South Hutchinson Schools
Nickerson-South Hutchinson Unified School District #309, located in Reno County Kansas, comprises 187.5 square miles of mostly rural areas. USD 309 is a district that celebrates diversity, quality instruction and successful student achievement.
The teachers are highly committed educators who strive daily to inspire and challenge every child, every day. They are dedicated to delivering a standards-based curriculum that is robust and relevant to the real world, in order to provide students the knowledge and skills needed for success in college and careers. USD 309 is currently made up of 2 elementary schools, 1 middle school and 1 high school. All four buildings are fully accredited through the Kansas State Department of Education Quality Performance Accreditation process.
(Source- USD 309-www.usd309ks.com)
South Hutchinson Lifestyle
With a population of about 2,500 people, South Hutchinson is a small community with big attractions. Hutchinson offers many attractions including the Hutchinson Zoo, Kansas Cosmosphere Space Center, and Strataca Salt Museum. South Hutchinson offers a variety of restaurants and local businesses.
South Hutchinson Transportation
South Hutchinson is located north of highway KS-61 and between KS-96 and KS-61. Downtown Hutchinson is less than 10 minutes from South Hutchinson.
South Hutchinson Local Attractions/Activities
Journey Mennonite Church, South Hutchinson Christian Church and several other churches call South Hutchinson home. South Hutchinson’s close proximity to Hutchinson offers a variety of attractions including the Hutchinson Zoo, Strataca Salt Museum, and Kansas Cosmosphere Space Center.
South Hutchinson – History
Ben Blanchard organized a town company, which was known as the Inter-State Investment Co., on May 28, 1886. The company purchased 280 acres of land south of the river. On June 1, 1886, the town company obtained a state charter for South Hutchinson, Kansas. Soon there was a large population boom in the new town and South Hutchinson was incorporated by the Board of County Commissioners on January 4, 1887, into a city of the third class. The first city election was held on January 18, 1887.
Blanchard wanted a new attraction for South Hutchinson and became interested in finding oil. In his mind, he was convinced that a vast oil supply lay under South Hutchinson soil. He hired a firm to drill for oil. As the days went by and no oil was found, Blanchard became worried. To ensure a discovery, he dumped a few barrels into the hole when the drilling reached the appropriate depth. In the meantime, his well produced a vein of salt. He had no interest in salt and was disappointed.
The Pennsylvania Salt Works was the first salt plant. Blanchard's only interest in salt was the publicity. Everything was going great until a severe wind and rain storm struck the town. Many of the buildings were heavily damaged or destroyed. He had spent his investors' money and did not have the capital to rebuild.
Blanchard's boom town had crumbled, the glitter of the new town was gone. The town founder vanished, many of the houses and businesses were moved, torn down, or sold by the early 1890s to pay creditors. The people of South Hutchinson did not want their town to become a ghost town. They worked hard to keep the town alive. Improvements came slowly, but the people didn't give up, and their perseverance led to today's prosperous community.
(Source- City of South Hutchinson-www.southhutch.com)